As part of the latest update to Season Three, the LMG category reached a half dozen choices with the introduction of the Bruen MK9. If you have not already introduced yourself to this new hulking beast of a weapon, here’s its in-game description:
“This air-cooled open bolt 5.56 light machine gun features a competitive rate of fire and excellent stability that will dominate the mid to long range battlefield.”
The way to unlock this weapon is simple: you must get three kills when the enemy is near smoke using an LMG in 15 different matches.
This challenge is generous, as you can use any LMG – including the assault rifle-like LMG the Holger-26 – and the enemy needs to simply be near the effects of a Smoke Grenade rather than inside its billowing smoke.
Here’s how you can unlock this weapon and start experimenting with it in the Gunsmith to potentially create your new favorite LMG:
An Alternate Way to Unlock the Bruen MK9
Before we give our tips for unlocking this open bolt behemoth, there is another way to play with the the Bruen MK9 outside of the challenge.
The mid-Season Three update also brought a new Store bundle: ‘Encryption’. Within this bundle is a blueprint weapon of LMG Foxtrot known as The Glitch. This Legendary blueprint comes with five attachments, as well as a cool custom finish.
You won’t have access to other attachments until you level up the weapon through standard play, but you’ll be able to take this Legendary blueprint into battle now for use in your loadouts.
On top of this, you get a cool calling card and emblem themed around this high-tech weapon.
So, if you just can’t wait to play with the Bruen MK9, consider picking up the ‘Encryption’ bundle in the Store. Alternatively, if you rather earn this weapon through the in-game challenge, don’t worry; we have some tips to make this easier on you:
Top 5 Bruen MK9 Challenge Tips
5. Multiplayer May Be Easier. For some players, earning three kills in a Warzone Battle Royale match may prove to be difficult, let alone with an LMG and near Smoke Grenades. Therefore, you may want to try unlocking this in Multiplayer, where it is a more controlled environment, or the Warzone mode - Plunder.
4. Slow and Steady Wins the Race. If you are not used to playing with an LMG, be prepared for slow reload times and high recoil. Don’t fight it or be discouraged, though. Just use mounting to control recoil and tell your teammates to cover you when you go for the reload.
3. Hybrid LMGs. Rather use an LMG that’s more like an assault rifle? When kitted for speed through attachments, the Holger-26 and the SA87 act as bulkier versions of their assault rifle cousins. Should you find trouble using heavier LMGs, try using these to unlock the Bruen MK9.
2. Play Long Games. If you’re trying to complete this challenge within a normal Team Deathmatch on Shipment, it may be difficult. The longer the game type you are playing – think Domination, 10v10 modes, and especially Ground War – the more time you have to earn those three kills.
1. Pop a Smoke. Is there not enough smoke for you to shoot enemies near? Bring along Smoke Grenades in your loadout and chuck them near enemies. If you have trouble seeing enemies through the Smoke, equip a thermal optic on your LMG to find and smoke them out… literally.
Stay tuned for a Weapon Detail on this new LMG, including attachment and loadout suggestions for both Warzone and Multiplayer.
For more information and the latest intel on Warzone, visit www.callofduty.co/warzone and follow @CallofDuty on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
For more information and the latest intel on Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare®, check out: www.callofduty.com, www.youtube.com/callofduty and follow @InfinityWard and @CallofDuty on Twitter and Instagram and Facebook.
For more information on Activision games, follow @Activision on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.